The Idaho Academy of Science (IAS) was organized in 1958 to further the cause of science and science education in Idaho. Chartered activities of the Academy are to:
- Stimulate scientific education and research
- Promote collegial relationships among those engaged in scientific work
- Assist in the development and promotion of the scientific resources of the State of Idaho
- Unify the scientific interests of the State
- Publish reports of scientific studies and applications
The IAS seeks to improve the effectiveness of scientific education in Idaho, and to promote public understanding and appreciation of the sciences and applied technology in the modern world. The Academy is the only statewide organization in Idaho which embraces all scientific disciplines.